This year I decided to give myself a challenge, which was to run across the United States of America. Okay, not LITERALLY run, but I did create a "route" to run across America. The premiss is to log my miles, whether it be running, swimming, biking-- anything that I can track miles. I set destinations (goals) of places I would stop. Here is the itinerary:
Coast to Coast challenge
Start: Santa Cruz, CA
End: Sea Isle City, NJ
· Santa Cruz, CA to Las Vegas, NV
o 511 miles
· Las Vegas, NV to Grand Canyon National Park, Grand Canyon Village, AZ
o 324 miles
· Grand Canyon National Park, Grand Canyon Village, AZ to Santa Fe, NM
o 478 miles
· Santa Fe, NM to Amarillo, TX
o 285 miles
· Amarillo, TX to Oklahoma City, OK
o 262 miles
· Oklahoma City, OK to St. Lois, Missouri
o 526 miles
· St. Lois, Missouri to Mt. Vernon, IN
o 150 miles
· Mt. Vernon, IN to Charleston, WV
o 389 miles
· Charleston, WV to Washington, DC
o 335 miles
· Washington, DC to Philadelphia, PA
o 137 miles
· Philadelphia, PA to Sea Isle City, NJ
o 66 miles
Total: 3463 miles
I had not tallied up my miles until today and I realized I have already surpassed my first location! Since January, I have logged 557.35 miles! Technically I am 46.35 miles away from my first stop, Las Vegas Nevada. A few fun facts about Las Vegas:
• The city of Las Vegas celebrated its 100th birthday on May 15, 2005. The event celebrated the May 15, 1905 land auction when 110 acres of land in downtown Las Vegas were auctioned off.• A 1910 law made it illegal to gamble in Las Vegas. The Nevada Legislature later approved a legalized gambling bill in 1931.
• The first hotel and casino to open in Las Vegas was the Golden Gate Hotel and Casino in 1906.
• In 1957, topless showgirls debuted on the Las Vegas Strip in “Minsky’s Follies” at the Dunes.
• The famous “Welcome to Las Vegas” sign was created in 1959 by Betty Willis.
• The famous Las Vegas strip is for the most part, not within the city limits of Las Vegas. The majority of the strip is located within Clark County.
Sources: Las Vegas Convention & Visitors Authority, Clark County School District, Clark County Clerk
I have not logged any miles in June-- yikers! I have to get on that!
Happy Father's Day!
c'est la via,